Followers

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Success Stories- Illustrating our Vision


The Kids in Motion program is in its seventeenth year.Two former students are living proof the Apopka Family Learning Center is "Empowering Children and Families through Education!"


Fabian

“When I failed 5th Grade I wanted to give up. The Kids in Motion staff helped me realize I had to try harder.”  

At the early age of 12, Fabian was at risk of dropping out of school! His mother knew this was a critical time for him to make a change and enrolled him in the Kids in Motion program.  

“At Kids in Motion my teacher, Miss Kate coached me one-on-one,” Fabian said. “I started to get better grades, and it felt great because I had worked hard to get them.” 

Fabian credits the Apopka Family Learning Center for charting his course in a new direction. Perhaps most important was that the program inspired him to reach for bigger goals in all areas of his life. Today, Fabian is a graduate of Apopka High School, employed as a line cook at Universal Studio® and actively pursuing a culinary arts degree.


Mary

Mary was one of six children from a single-parent home and could have been another at risk student dropout. However, her mother found the Apopka Family Learning Center. 

“It was the best thing she ever did!” exclaims Mary, a native of Puerto Rico, who learned English at the Kids in Motion Program. “The program provided me with self esteem and I know that I could do anything I wanted, if I put all my effort into it.” 

She stayed on top of her school work and, with her inherent determination and the help of scholarships, Mary is now a certified medical assistant and newlywed in the process of buying her first home.


No comments:

Post a Comment